The growth and impact of Refilleries in reducing waste

The growth and impact of Refilleries in reducing waste

Once upon a time, single-use packaging was not the norm. Remember the milkman and those glass bottles? They were the epitome of sustainability before we even knew we needed such a word in our vocabulary. Fast forward to today, and we're drowning in plastic packaging. The bottled water industry alone faces criticism for the mountains of waste it produces when most of us could just refill from the tap​​.

Refill stations, like Byrd’s, are bringing the old-school milkman concept into the 21st century, providing a viable alternative to packaged products. But it's not just about reducing waste. It's about a cleaner world, literally and figuratively. Many cleaning products are 90% water, with the real cleaning power coming from the remaining 10%. Innovative companies are rethinking product design to turn one-time packaging into reusable solutions​​.

The movement is gaining momentum, but access remains a hurdle. While bulk buying is an alternative, it's not universally available. In the San Francisco Bay Area, we're lucky to have a pioneering community of refilleries. Each one is unique in its mission and offerings, but all are united in the fight against waste.

Some refilleries start with soaps and personal care, but we feel that there is so much more refill potential.  Stores like Byrd's stretch the boundaries of the refill trend by offering a wide selection of cleaning, personal care, and food items.  If it's consumable, we should be able to refill!

"If we can get a Starbucks latte on every corner, it should be just as easy to refill a dish soap bottle." says Byrd’s owner, Laura Porter.

The refillery model is more than a trend; it's a lifestyle shift. It's about realizing that we don't need to sacrifice convenience or quality for sustainability. We can have our cake and eat it too – or in this case, have our soap and save the planet as well. The journey of refilleries is an inspiring one, proving that small changes can make a massive impact.

As we support these local businesses, we're not just refilling bottles; we're refilling our commitment to the planet. So the next time you're about to toss that bottle, think twice and visit Byrd's (or your local shop) for all your refill needs!


Los Altos:




San Jose:

Morgan Hill: